UNITED METHODIST UNIVERSITY (UMU)
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR PRESIDENT
The United Methodist University (UMU) is a private four-year liberal arts institution of higher learning owned and operated by the Liberia Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church, and is located in Monrovia, Liberia. The University has about 5000 students enrolled on four campuses (Monrovia, Gbarnga, Ganta, and Gbazon Town, Sinoe) across Liberia. Affiliated with the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church, the University is the only United Methodist Church institution of higher learning in the West Africa Central Conference.
The United Methodist University is accredited by the National Commission on Higher Education in the Republic of Liberia, and currently offers five undergraduate degrees, the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Social Work, Bachelor of Theology, and one graduate degree, the Master of Divinity. The University also offers diplomas and associate degrees.
The vision/goal of the University is to prepare a new generation of men and women schooled on the African continent to build nations that are spiritually, socially, economically, and politically independent and self-sustaining.
The mission of the University is to provide quality education within a Pan African context through which persons can acquire general professional knowledge and skills within the framework of Christian values and ethics.
The University is accepting applications or nominations for the position of President of the Institution.
The University seeks a dynamic, energetic and visionary leader in higher education with high professional standards and integrity and a demonstrated commitment to work with faculty, students, staff and the Board of Trustees to promote the growth and development of the University at this critical period of its history.
The President will serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the University and work closely with the Board of Trustees to provide overall leadership and direction to the planning and management of the teaching, research and service functions of the University and to ensure that significant improvements are made in the implementation of the Strategic Plan of the United Methodist University.
Further information about the University can be found on its website: http://www.umu.edu.lr/
PhD or its equivalent
The next President of the United Methodist University should demonstrate broad leadership qualities and experience, including:
- At least 5-10 years of proven leadership and management experience in a senior position in higher education and/or industry, including experience in the development and management of institutional budgets;
- A strong commitment to academic quality and excellence in teaching, research, and service;
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the unique needs of higher education in Liberia;
- High ethical standards and professional integrity;
- A demonstrated ability to communicate the mission and needs of the institution to the various constituencies of the university, including the students, faculty, staff, alumni and collaborating partners;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage relations with students, faculty and administrative staff, and the ability to create an inclusive and conducive environment for learning characterized by a spirit of collegiality;
- Demonstrated commitment to fundraising and advocacy for increased support from local and international partners, including the private and public sectors, and philanthropic organizations. Commitment to the creation of an endowment fund for the University;
- Building and maintaining productive linkages with institutions of higher learning and education support organizations at home and abroad;
- Demonstrated commitment to academic freedom and participatory governance;
- An appreciation and understanding of the dynamics and nuances of Liberian culture, including the political culture and its effects on the University.
ONLY QUALIFIED LIBERIANS ARE INVITED TO APPLY.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MARCH 10, 2021.
APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- A LETTER OF INTEREST WHICH ADDRESSES THE APPLICANT’S QUALIFICATIONS FOR AND INTEREST IN THE POSITION
- A CURRENT RESUME
- THE NAMES, EMAIL AND ORGANIZATION’S ADDRESSES, HOME AND ORGANIZATION’S TELEPHONE NUMBER OF AT LEAST THREE REFERENCES
- A ONE-TO-TWO PAGE SUMMARY OF APPLICANT’S PHILOSOPHY OF HIGHER EDUCATION AND ITS APPLICABILITY TO THE UNITED METHODIST UNIVERSITY AND THE LIBERIAN SOCIETY
QUALIFIED WOMEN CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKETS WILL BE CONSIDERED. COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKETS MUST BE ADDRESSED TO THE BELOW OR SENT VIA EMAIL.
SEARCH COMMITTEE CHAIR
CHAIRMAN/CONFERENCE LAY LEADER LIBERIA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
UMU PRESIDENT’S SEARCH COMMITTEE
C/O UNITED METHODIST CHURCH/LAC
12TH STREET, SINKOR
APPLICANTS FROM OUTSIDE OF LIBERIA WHO INTEND ON MAILING THEIR APPLICATIONS SHOULD DO SO THROUGH A RELIABLE INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS COURIER.